Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

At the time of the..

...Khobar Towers bombing incident against the Marines in Beruit, a feeling of uneasiness coalesced into my conviction that we are in World War III. 9/11 was, simply, the Pearl Harbor of this War.

War is not pretty. War is neither romantic nor heroic (although romantic and heroic things happen). It is not the symbolic walking away in the rain of a Hemmingway novel. War exists. War is a mind numbing time of boredom and lonliness. It is punctuated by moments, hours and, sometimes, days of asshole puckering fear and extra-human deeds. Tet, 1968 is not the same glowing warm and fuzzy memory as the Christmas that I got my 1st sled (a Flexible Flyer, by the way). In the Nam, I came to the realization that without someone defending freedom (my Uncles, Cousins and Father) there could be no 'Flexible Flyer moment'. I came to the realization that I was, somehow, defending freedom. And,now, comes the singularly most important thing that I know. Freedom is absolutely worth defending. Without my God and without my freedom I have nothing of value!

If my Granddaughter chooses to wear a Burkha of her own will, that is FREEDOM. I have no problem with that. Otherwise, my Granddaughter will wear a Burkha only over my cold, dead body. Contrary to the teachings and revisionist history espoused by Moonbats of all ilks, My heritage is easily worth my life. Without my heritage, I have nothing for either my Grandaughter or my Grandson and I will have lived and died in vain.

If, to grow taller and straighter, the tree of liberty must be watered with my blood, so be it. The torches that I hand to my Granddaughter and Grandson are freedom and honor.

Peace is not the absence of war.

Kermit

3 Comments:

At Sat Jul 09, 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Kermit I am with you 100% on this. I was taught about the blood and the guts. We are teaching my girls the same thing. It's a shame that some kids today don't understand that people DIED for our freedom. It's an incredible gift and one that is most definitely worth defending. It is most definitely what we want to pass on to our children.

 
At Sun Jul 10, 08:37:00 PM, Blogger John the Mad said...

Kermit:
Bravo Zulu! You're an American and I'm a Canuck. We share a basic understanding of these matters. You're just luckier right now in the quality of national leadership. God bless.

 
At Sun Jul 10, 09:56:00 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Kermit - You have it SO right. I keep telling people who say "War isn't the answer" that they don't understand the question. When you truly understand the nature of the question - the answer is quite obvious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Web Counter